Tuesday, November 10, 2009

The Pursuit of Happiness & Rubik's Cube

On some days I decide to conquer the silly cube and force it to show me all its colours arranged neatly on each side. It has never happened.I’ll do one layer. Feel happy and try some more. Mind you, I don’t use any of those fancy algorithms. So usually I just end up messing up. Finally I get bored and move on. Most of the times I just lose patience and put the Rubik’s cube in its corner. Something like a punishment – “Stand in the corner, you silly cube!” The silly cube sits in its corner and mocks me and challenges me for another tussle. I had given up these futile attempts after several humble defeats. Until I saw The Pursuit of Happiness.
When Will Smith did the final Rubik rotate, and cracked the Rubik's code, I felt that this simple scene in the movie had a lot of hidden ideas beneath it. The message being portrayed throughout the entire movie was depicted so easily in that one simple scene.
So here are a few things I think I really need to finally conquer the silly cube.


Try. Try. Try. Try. Try. If you are not sure, try again.

You are GOD. You decide whether to rotate left or right. Only praying and crossing all your fingers and toes won't work.If you don't make that move, there's nobody else to make it for you. YOU are the TEAM. You play the coach, the manager, the player....
You have no control over the past and the future. What you have is NOW. Seize it and do what you want to do or lose it. You are never wrong. You might be just partially right. But wherever you are, there is still a way to reach where you want to be. There are no dead-ends. But you can always turn back anytime you want. And who could have done this better than Will Smith, whose life story is no less inspiring.

4 comments:

  1. real nostalgia jan. the movie which pumped me up. but i never knew there can be an inspiring description behind this. rally inspiring. don't u think its god which makes us to take the right or the left move ?


    p.s: dont read this post b4 u sleep cos u cant sleep anymore...You can solve your cube with our self designed not-so-fancy algorithms :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Anbarasu:No doubt some supernatural power tat control or force us to do..it can be ur inmost as well..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. Pursuit of Happyness was awesome. Especially in two places. One was what you just described and the other was the cave man scene. Problems are imaginary. So solutions can also be imaginary.

    "What you have is NOW". Wow again.

    p.s : when i read this post it feels like i had written this :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Except for the you are GOD part ;)

    ReplyDelete